Guide To Posting Events
To create an event, write a post as normal in wordpress and set the date and time(s) of the event using the “Event Editor” that appears below the post editing box. You can now specify start and end dates and times. If you add schedule information to a post, that post is automatically placed in the “OSSG Events” category. You may also wish to place the post in “External Events” if it is organised independently of the OSSG.
Also, in the post body please provide the following information:
- Start date and time
- End date and time (if applicable)
- A contact address for more information and contact details for registration, if applicable
- What the event is (e.g. meeting, conference etc) and a brief description of the event
- The location of the event
Use one of the existing event posts as a template or contact the webmaster if you are unsure.
Once the post is made, it will appear in the article feed immediately and in the “Forthcoming Events” section until the event date has passed. Thereafter, it will appear only in the main article feed.
In the screenshot the numbered elements correspond to items in the list below
- Title. Enter the post title here. This will form part of the post’s URL so keep it short and descriptive
- Post body. Type your post here. You may use any standard HTML formatting, you wish, but please exercise restraint! See the “Quick guide” above for a list of details to include
- Event Editor. Specify the start and end date/times. If you click the button marked “…” you will be presented with a clickable AJAX calendar to edit the date and time which may be easier than editing the field directly.
- Post slug. If your title is still too long to form a sensible URL, you can enter a URL portion here. You can see in the screenshot that the example post has a slug – “oats-event” – as the title is very long
- Categories. If your event is being organised by the OSSG, leave it in the “OSSG Events” category only as shown. If it is a relevant event organised by others that you are publicising, place it in the “External Events” category as well
If you have any questions, please contact the webmaster.Google+