Benefits of Free/Libre Open Source Software
in Health Care (FLOSS-HC)
Special track on FLOSS-HC projects and initiatives at Med-e-Tel 2011
Next years Med-e-Tel are organizing the 2nd FLOSS in health care track
Please feel free to have a look at last years program. Most of the presentations are also available online at MedFLOSS.org
Call for participation
After the success of its first edition at Med-e-Tel 2010 (23 speakers, 1 keynote presentation, 1 panel discussion), the Free/Libre Open Source Software in Health Care (FLOSS-HC) track 2011 aims to create the leading European summit bringing together FLOSS-HC developers, service providers and users from all over the world to cross-fertilize Open technological, business and social initiatives to shape the future of open health care systems.
Co-organized by the European Federation for Medical Informatics Free/Libre Open Source Working Group (EFMI LIFOSS WG), the International Medical Informatics Association Open Source Working Group (IMIA OS WG) and the International Society for Telemedicine & eHealth (ISfTeH), it offers a new platform for collaboration establishment, experience exchange and a unique opportunity to foster prospective thinking towards open, collaboratively developed systems in health care.
Submissions from all areas of health care are welcome that deal with free/libre open source software. Topics of interest for this track cover various aspects of FLOSS in health informatics, including but not limited to:
- collaborative care across the Internet
- interoperability between different FLOSS-HC systems
- free access to shared medical knowledge and Evidence Based Medicine (EBM)
- second opinion and support for training
- software solutions for low resource settings
- FLOSS-HC as a strategy for software development supported by welfare organizations
- systems for public health
- cross-fertilization with the Humanitarian FOSS (H-FOSS) community
- analysis of cultural differences which could require adapted software solutions
- reuse of modular software components
- FLOSS-HC in education
We also want to especially encourage open source software companies to provide some insights in their open source based business model, offered services and products. Potential subjects could be:
- successful business models for FLOSS in health care
- certification process: fulfillment of legal requirements as service
- successful co-existance of a community maintained main-project and a vendor extended sub-project
- license considerations: which license to choose to allow also commercial reuse in own products
- success stories: transformation from an originally closed to an open source development approach
- user acceptance: has “open source” already become a marketing argument?
Four types of submissions are welcome:
3. Software demos
4. Position paper
Authors that would like to submit a paper or poster should use the online abstract submission form and provide the keyword “FLOSS-HC” in their list of keywords.
For software demo and position paper submissions, authors should send their abstract (max. 1 page) to the FLOSS-HC track chair, Thomas Karopka, at email@example.com.
Deadline for papers and posters: 10 December 2010
Deadline for demos and position papers: 14 January 2011
Click here to register for the Med-e-Tel conference (incl. access to the FLOSS-HC track).
10 circuit de la Foire Internationale
Click here for a local area map.
For hotel information and reservation form, click here.
Questions, suggestions and expressions of interest to participate are welcome at: